Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Reengineered cb550 Jardine Exhaust

When I got my cb it came with (rusty) chrome Jardine (or MAC) pipes which I cleaned and had cerakoted. Last riding season they developed a pretty strong rattle so I gutted them. They sounded great, but they were SUPER loud. Originally they had these metal baffles which were half rotten, and were not straight through which I suppose was good for db's but not so wonderful for flow. So I came up with an idea for a more modern style muffler, while keeping the vintage look. With the help of a machinist I brought the idea to life, and they sound great, flow wonderfully, and look perfect. I packed them with some super rare prototype packing material. (Vintage wall insulation.) They are about 12" longer than they were, and honestly, I would have liked them to sit back even a bit further, but its good enough. Its not quiet at all but is manageable and due to the straight through design, keeps the gnarl of the straight pipe without such an edge.













No comments:

Post a Comment